I had a job that was paying a fortune but making me unhappy, and I left everything to start over

yvo1980

I had a job that was paying a fortune but making me unhappy, and I left everything to start over

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:14 pm

I was a investment banker working for 7 years in the city, trader in complex derivatives products, and heading a trading team. Bonuses were exceptionnal, although they were more impressive before 2008 than after. I realized I was living in a selfish world, where every man and woman working on the floor was only looking after his own interests. There was no team spirit, at least not the constructive type. Every few years, entire teams would leave for a better opportunity elsewhere, rendering everything that was done previously obsolete, and setting up their new tool that they would sell as "remarkable" and "unique": a tool noone else can hope to deliver: pet projects that effectively cost millions, and that have absolutly no impact, no benefit to anyone but themselves. This is the spirit.

Good managers are rare, and for a good reason. A good employee performing well and generating high profits is not automatically a good manager, and the metrics banks have been using for years to measure one's aptitude to become a good manager are I beleive desperatly flawed.

So I left. Sometimes i regret the salary, but I don t regret the experience that I have had instead, the people that I've met, the independence that I've got, and the constructive and satisfactory, fulfilling!, work that I do now.

Return to “My father passed away, he has a business partner who turns to be a crook!”