I'm feel sad for my husband

Sophie567

I'm feel sad for my husband

Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:07 am

I hope you can help us, we’re in a difficult situation. My husband has been working for the same company for more than 10 years and they have always honored him with a “Employee of the Month” award.  But yesterday he was informed that his contract is going to end this month due to the company's economic troubles.  He feels disappointed.

We were shocked that he’s already included in the list of employees who will end their contracts. I feel so sad for him since this is all because of me. He’s been working so hard for me and our children – taking extra shifts and staying late at work for me – and I can’t do anything to help him. Do you have any advice for us?

NancyB09366

Re: I'm feel sad for my husband

Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:03 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe his boss will have an answer? Keep talking to him every day so that he knows you're there for him and support him.

Sophie567

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:11 pm

Yeah, this is what I do. He already talked to his boss and told him that wait until the end of this March what will happen his boss also added that don't be sad because everything happens for a reason. We pray that it will be a piece of good news.

NancyB09366

Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:20 pm

Wow! I hope that is a good news! Keep us posted here. :)

lilo894

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:29 pm

Hi Nancy, keep it up!!
As said Sophie talking is always best i think well done to talk to his boss and be frank.
I find it extremely shocking that he was rewarded recently and constantly and put on the list of redundancy in the same time.

There should be a way to argue that employee of the month shouldn't be the one out in case of economic troubles having in mind that one of the main factor for getting this reward is being productive so basically the less wanted by the company is to get rid of such employees . Now, maybe you want to check whether its only you / couple of employees / or loads of employees (in case it is loads of employees that are terminated then they have the obligation to follow some rules you can get them accountable for not following "collective consultation".

Now maybe you want to check whether they are closing the business or whether they are closing the particular area of business whereby you fall and reorganising the business. In that case, they have the duty to fairly apply the reorganisation and so you have some rights here as for staying within the company, maybe among another team or so (especially that you are a employee of the month and more if your role implies productivity is one of your main set goal).

You could raise a claim around this "dismissal". Many claims exists such as wrongfull dismissal / unfair dismissal/ and many others and one probably applies in your case and you could get compensation etc.. but as per my thought get ready to know your rights in case you come to the point where you need to negotiate, and ultimately claim.

Now if it is only you they are dismissing and some other employees (small amount) it might be only a question of politics/interests involved , if you see that there is no way at all with your boss to negotiate for you to stay , then maybe try by yourself to find out where you could be needed within the company within your role but maybe other area of business, or same area within another role and start mingle with these as you might want to come to your boss and say help me get to "X,Y,Z team". So somehow having already prepared the grounds in advance could help your boss to help you while getting also what he wants.

If the first discussion you have/had with your boss about staying do not conclude well, then maybe ask your boss for staying one more year of 8 months (as you have been serving the company 10 years !!) and tell him this will give you the time to find something else> So that during that time you would eventually find another team within the company as I said above, and get another job within the company for which you have been loyal.

If it all fail then what you can try and negotiate is re-employment at any point in time when the company would re-employ for your role >> as they are terminating your employment because of economic crisis AND you were awarded for employee of the month , then you do not see why they wouldn't accept for you to be re-employed as soon as they would fulfil again your position. I think this would work in the event that they are putting you redundant saying we are not employing for your specific position/ role at the present time.

At some point if you want you can show independently your contract/ the awards/ and any document you have been provided with about the company economic difficulties/restructuring/closing/.. to a lawyer you trust, maybe in a confidential way, while you still work so you know your rights.

Search terms such as Redundancy / Wrongful dismissal/ Unfair dismissal / to get more around it.

Plenty of luck Nancy, easier for me to say "you " as for your husband directly.

Sophie567

Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:18 am

Hello, Lilo!

I appreciate the variety of alternatives you provided; they were extremely useful. It was a really difficult time in our lives, and we couldn't think clearly. After speaking with his boss, my husband is thinking about changing jobs. We also weighed your re-employment advise because it was an economic crisis issue, but we have a family to feed, and he needs to contribute financially for our needs. As I previously stated, he has a couple of awards, which will help him in his search for a new career. He plans to seek for other jobs once his contract expires.